Sunday, November 28, 2010

Time flies when you're blogging

It's probably due to the fact that it's my last semester at Oklahoma State, but time has gone by so much faster this year. I can't believe Thanksgiving is over and I have about three weeks left at this school I love. Along with the semster, my Advanced PR Media class has flown by. My last blog post for the class has arrived.
I usually talk about London, or something having to relate to it, but this week is focusing on what I've learned about blogging throughout the semester.
Blogging is not as easy as it may seem at first, but at the same time it's not complicated. Pick a blog hosting site, come up with an idea and start writing. I thought I had cool ideas to blog about, then would get to writing and find that I didn't actually have a lot to say about the topic, or it would be more about one thing rather than the informational direction that I wanted to stick with in this blog. Some of the elements or requirements for the blog limited what I could talk about, but if you are just blogging because you want to, that shouldn't be a problem. Another area I wish I would have had more practice in before starting my blog is adding video. If the internet doesn't have a fast enough connection, it can take a very long time for videos to load, or they will not load at all.

So, if you're starting a blog, here are a few tips:
-Pick a topic you have a lot to talk about or you love
-Have a plan for what you want to write about each week
-Share your blog with other people through Twitter, Facebook or other sites to get your reader base up
-Add pictures and video to your blog- it makes it more interesting and fun to look at
-Be consistent in your post topics
-Be consistent with the time you post your blog-people will know when to look
-Remember- you can blog about anything and everything- don't be afraid to talk about something you are interested in- your blog is only limited by how much you want to put in it

Want more tips? Check out these TIPS from the Blog World Expo.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, blogging wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be either. Your tips are also very helpful for anyone starting their first blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Alyson, I'm going to miss you so much! All of my PR classes won't be the same without you. Congratulations on graduating! I agree with your thoughts about blogging and your tips are definitely helpful!

    ReplyDelete